Medical Owl

Medical Owl

22 June 2010

I tell you, Dorian, that it is on things like these that our lives depend.


"Life is not governed by will or intention.
Life is a question of nerves, and fibres, and slowly built-up
cells in which thought hides itself and passion has its dreams.
You may fancy yourself safe and think yourself strong. But a chance
tone of colour in a room or a morning sky, a particular perfume
that you had once loved and that brings subtle memories with it,
a line from a forgotten poem that you had come across again,
a cadence from a piece of music that you had ceased to play--
I tell you, Dorian, that it is on things like these that our lives depend.
Browning writes about that somewhere; but our own senses will imagine
them for us. There are moments when the odour of lilas blanc passes
suddenly across me, and I have to live the strangest month of my life
over again. I wish I could change places with you, Dorian. The world
has cried out against us both, but it has always worshiped you.
It always will worship you. You are the type of what the age
is searching for, and what it is afraid it has found. "




top: Feather in Czech Glass Syringe, artist's private collection, gift from Griffin & Andy lover of birds
bottom: ink wash leg warmer girl, yellow sketchbook collection

No comments:

Post a Comment